home tutorials features parties custom orders

Thursday, July 2, 2015

DIY Fabric Clipboard

The other day at Target, I picked up a plain brown clipboard, a small bottle of Mod Podge from the $1 aisle, and a packet of sponge brushes and decided to cover the clipboard in fabric. This project was so quick and simple, that it took less than 30 minutes from start to finish! Here's how you can make your own DIY Fabric Clipboard, too!


First, gather all your supplies:

  • small or large clipboard
  • Mod Podge
  • foam brush
  • fabric to cover the front and back of the clipboard (1 fat quarter)
  • fabric scraps to make a bow
  • fabric marker
  • pinking shears


Place the clipboard on top of the fabric and mark around the outer edges using the fabric marker. For my clipboard, I used the Snow Day collection by Maude Asbury for Blend Fabrics. I loved this whimsical print of igloos, polar bears, and penguins, but my favorite was the coordinating print with geometric shapes in a striped pattern.

Use pinking shears to cut out two pieces of fabric--one for the front and one for the back. For the front fabric piece, mark and trim away the fabric at the top edge so the fabric fits around the metal clip.

Next, drizzle Mod Podge on one side of the clipboard and use the foam brush to spread it evenly over the entire surface. Place the corresponding piece of fabric on top of the tacky surface and then apply more Mod Podge on top of the entire fabric area. Let it dry for a few minutes and then repeat for the opposite side of the clipboard.


After both sides feel fairly dry, apply another coat of Mod Podge to each side and then let the clipboard dry completely. The glue dries very quickly.

Using left over fabric, cut out several strips approximately 1 1/2" x 8" and use one piece to tie all the others together. My clipboard had a hole in the metal clip along the top, so I simply tied my bow to it.


These clipboards are so fun and easy to make and are a great crafty project to do with kids. I plan to use this DIY Fabric Clipboard project at Ella's next birthday party and have each guest make their own to take home. Kids love to use clipboards for school or to play with at home.

Here's the finished front side of my clipboard.


And here is the finished back side of my clipboard.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!